Friday, February 5, 2010

I have 1 year left to get my B.A degree. I'm thinking about changeing careers from paralegal to nail tech?

I do want to get my B.A degree but I also would like the opportunity to own my own business and I am very outgoing and think this would be great. Is this change reasonable?I have 1 year left to get my B.A degree. I'm thinking about changeing careers from paralegal to nail tech?
Earn your degree. I do agree with the first couple of responses - you generally have better earning potential as a paralegal - but, having said that, there is no reason you shouldn't get a certificate (It's not usually a degree) as a nail tech and try your own business!





I also would warn you that most of the women who own nail salons work LOTS of hours - that is key to becoming successful. You also may look into getting some business classes - things like hiring others and bookkeeping are as important to being successful as being able to do the hands on work!





Best of luck.I have 1 year left to get my B.A degree. I'm thinking about changeing careers from paralegal to nail tech?
Uhh... if you only have one year left, finish in paralegal, get a job as a paralegal, and then start working on taking some nail tech courses... or finish the bachelors in paralegal but stay enrolled long enough to get a dual degree. But don't drop the paralegal degree when you're this close! It would be a waste, and you may need to fall back on it someday.
Who says that you have to give up your BA and current major in order to open a nail salon? Finish up your degree, and take cosmetology classes in the summer or at night. You may be able to take an online course. When you finish, you can take a job within your major while continuing night classes to obtain certification as a nail tech. A little professional experience will be helpful before you strike out on your own. Work as a paralegal will show that you have interpersonal skills, a valuable asset when you enter a service profession like the beauty industry. You will need capital in order to set up a business, so it's a good idea to work for someone else first so that you can save. Be sure to talk to a career counselor at your school or another trusted adult to seek any advice that they can offer you. Changing any career path requires lots of planning.
Have you even looked at the VAST differences in income between those two positions. Many of the folks working as nail techs are illegal immigrants smuggled in from China on a container ship! That should give you a clue.





Finish your degree, and if you want to open your own nail salon instead at least you will have a career to fall back on. Nobody said you have to let your degree control what you do for a living.





Or you can drop out and sit next to Mrs. Choi who doesn't speak any English and enjoy the fumes.
Why nail tech? If you dream of owning your own business, why not own one using your degree? If you really dream of owning a business look at my profile- it is something that most anyone can do. It is something that you can do while finishing your degree. You will still have your own business and get your degree.





Good Luck and have a nice day!

No comments:

Post a Comment